Friday, August 14, 2015

I Feel Glenn Beck's Pain (No, Really!)

Glenn Beck / Photo: Gage Skidmore, CC BY-SA 2.0

It's a weird day for me.  I just found myself agreeing with - and then relating to - Glenn Beck, of all people.  And just one day after I join other Portlandians in celebrating Beck's declaration that we live in The WORST City in America.  The very next morning, he goes and says something reasonable.


Screenshot / Selina Davis  
 
Beck wrote a lengthy post on Facebook in the wee hours asking other conservative pundits about their support for Donald Trump.  Beck specifically calls out Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and Michael Savage by name and asks why they support Trump when he doesn't seem to share the vast majority of their conservative principles, and when Trump's guiding principles seem to be whimsical and unpredictable, at best.  

Good for Glenn Beck.  He's probably voicing what a lot of other conservatives have been thinking, but have been too afraid to say.  

Upon searching the Internet to see if Trump had fired back yet, I learned that Beck's been gunning hard for Trump pretty consistently for months.  [I missed it - me fail.]  


But what I didn't see?  Trump mean tweeting Glenn Beck, or calling him a loser, or speculating where Beck may be bleeding from at the time.  It is hard to keep track of all of The Donald's Twitter beefs, so if I missed something, please share it in the comments!

But back to the FB post ...  In the final paragraphs, things got weirder.  I found myself feeling Glenn Beck's pain

"Please let's have a respectful dialogue. I am not trying to tear [Trump] down, I am stating my opinion. Can we actually have a civil discourse based on facts? Not on emotion or feelings.

(I think those are important but like I did in the beginning of this please recognize those as such. They are important and valid but that is not the same as policies or principles)"

Hey, I've been there before!  It's been within the other major party and "the American Left," and at a much more local and small time level, but I've been there, too!  Wait - did I just RELATE to GLENN BECK?!?  

A weird day, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment